Saturday, March 27, 2010

Asian Paradise Flycatcher


Asian Paradise flycatcher can again be seen dancing like a kite as the spring spreads the wings. The bird is called Dudhraj in Hindi due to milky white colour of its body. The long white tail of the bird looks even more beautiful when it flies in a wavy motion up and down, manoeuvring in the sky to catch insects.The long tail is used to impress the female and may be for balancing the body during frequent changes of direction in flight.    








The female on the other hand has
got a short tail and the colour of the body is brown.The sub-adult males resemble the female, but the long tail makes the differentiation easier.










The coming of Asian Paradise flycatcher highlights the struggle for existence among the birds.Being monogamous,both the female and male contribute in nest building,incubation, feeding and guarding the nest against predators.They can be seen scaring away the Yellow Billed Blue-Magpies which are about four times their body size.These birds build a deep cup shaped nest on the branches of trees,preferably in a fork.Many times the nest is built in the vicinity of the nest of Black drongos,which keep the predators away.















12 comments:

  1. Asian Paradise Flycatcher----
    I saw a bird exactly like this in Valley Park, CBD Belapur on 20th February 2014 morning around 930 a.m. I wanted to find name . So I searched. and came to this. Thanks.

    Arvind Khanolkar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know that my post helped to identify the bird........
      thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Today this like catcher coming to our home at night around 12:30 a.m. I went to find the name and I reached here same as you Bareilly navabganj SENTHAL
      Pradeep

      Delete
  2. Saw one today in front of rajbhavan Pune. I was just checking to know more about this uncommon bird. Looks like it is not so uncommon after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw today this bird in Osho Park, Pune...Wow it's very beautiful look very gud while flying

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this beautiful bird early morning just outside my window on the Tamarind tree at Malad(Mumbai) ,it had a beautiful long white tail,and i thought that this bird is a tropical bird come from some neighbouring country,but after reading this blog i came to know that it is from india itself,and i also got to know its name..Thanks for this information...really helpfull..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this beautiful bird early morning just outside my window on the Tamarind tree at Malad(Mumbai) ,it had a beautiful long white tail,and i thought that this bird is a tropical bird come from some neighbouring country,but after reading this blog i came to know that it is from india itself,and i also got to know its name..Thanks for this information...really helpfull..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this bird at nandi hills bangalore ...Its a Beuty !

    ReplyDelete
  7. i saw one on 25.3.2012 in Bhubaneswar. it is a white angel !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a ton for this blog. I saw this beauty in Bangalore and was mesmerized by it. I was desperately trying to find out what it's called since 2013. After searching 'bird with long tail flying in wavy motion' in google today, found this image. I was never a bird enthusiast, but after watching this one fly I've found a new passion in me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i saw this bird in jim corbett national park,uttarakhand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just in morning 11.03.2016 I saw the Bird @ sawad near Pune.
    It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete